Skip to main content

Friendzone: Mampala Malekane


I just came up with the name for the series I am writing on my friends: Friendzone. I think it is catchy and cheesy enough and works either way you look at it.

Which brings me to my next friend: Mampala. If you have met me during my time in Cape Town you have probably seen me with her plenty of times. During our time in this city (we arrived a few months after each other) we have lived together, partied together, got involved in a car accident together, decided to become vegetarians together (we failed) and did I mention drink together? ok.

The funny thing about how we became friends is that my older sister introduced me to her. They worked together in Sandton and she was always telling me and this girl who she thought would make a great friend. She was right.

As a way of mocking my sister (who calls me baby) we started calling each other "baby" too... and it has stuck and has also led to people assuming we are a lesbian couple, which we don't mind at all and always play along depending on how bored we are.


Anyway the reason why I am friends with Mampala is that she listens. Like really listens to all my bullshit (I say a lot of bullshit especially on the subject of men). But she doesn't just listen, she actually remembers all the stuff I say when we are sober.

She is also very sweet, extremely kind and fragile. There is a warmth about Mampala that I love and appreciate. She is one of those people who is confident enough to make everyone else feel comfortable around her. This is a welcome relief from being friends with girls who are always threatened by other girls and in turn, become bitchy for no reason.

She is always up for a good time and just going wild and having fun.

Like the time we went to the beach with two of our friends and decided to walk from the beach to the shops in our swimwear - no towels, sarongs or anything.

Or the time when we were so bored at my house that we went out with these guys, got kicked out of Asoka (there were too many Black people in our group apparently, according to the Black/Coloured doorman) and we ended up at Cubana, which was also boring and had a car accident on our way home when a car slammed into us 5 minutes from my flat.

But Mampala is also brave in that she is willing to take risks (like moving to Cape Town and befriending people like me) and when she feels uncomfortable in a situation (like a job she hates) she always leaves. a lot of us stay but she never does, which is what I admire most.

She is also amazingly stylish. She helps me pick out clothes and dress up. But mostly  she has fun with her hair, from weaves in different colours and length to braids to short hair. She just goes for it and somehow she always manages to pull it off.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendzone: Thato Moeng

My appreciation for red wine didn't start on a wine farm somewhere in Stellenbosch or when I lived next to a boutique wine farm during my internship years. No. My appreciation of wine started in Soshanguve, on the lawns of a stadium on our campus (Tshwane University of Technology) with this woman pictured above - Thato Moeng.

We met on campus during journalism school - something we both took as a second option (a story for another day) - and became really close friends.

This is mainly because we studied at a campus that we hated (at the beginning) and then grew to love and appreciate with the more friends we made and all the random stuff we got up to there. We wanted to be at the Pretoria West campus.

We also grew up in the same place, have way too many friends in common and had a particular addiction to attending Tucks Spring Fair, at University of Pretoria, even though we never studied there and the event always took place during the week when we had other shit to do like stud…

Friendzone: Sibongile Dalasile

When I started this blog, or more specifically, this "friend zone" section in my blog a few years ago, the idea was that I would use it as a space to big up some of my female friends who have been really awesome to me but also those who, I feel, deserve to have someone tell them that they are awesome because, as you know, the world is full of people who love taking but fall short when it comes to being generous. I should know, I am one of them.
So the "friend zone" was meant to be my token of appreciation to my friends because as the writer in the group, I often have very little to give in return except for words, some cheap laughs and maybe long catch up sessions when we are in the same city.
Sbo, is one of those people and since we don't live in the same city anymore, I thought she would be the perfect friend for me to revive this comatose ploy of mine to spread some extra cheer in the world.

I don't even know where to start because the story of how we m…

Friendzone: Lesego Kgosimolao

The years following the 1994 elections were a bit strange in Pretoria, the place where I grew up. I was somewhere between Primary and High school and people were doing either one of the following things: sending their kids to schools that are not in the township or moving to suburbs to be close to the schools that wouldn't allow kids "who lived too far."
So when the "let's send out kids to suburban schools wave" hit, my parents did not see the need and I went to a middle school that was a ten minute walk from my house and that was where I met and became really good friends with Lesego Kgosimolao. My first GBF.

As you can see from the photographs, Lesego is as fine as he is stylish - in fact he is a stylist. I remember in school, when I'd be walking around with dusty buccaneer shoes and a tunic that wasn't that familiar with an iron and there Lesego would be, always in a pair of shiny shoes, neat tie and a crisp ironed (I might add) white shirt. His…