Skip to main content

Friendzone: Nontando Mposo


It is very easy to confuse an officemate with someone you are meant to be friends with forever and ever. I think it’s because we spend so much time in the office that we end up spending more time with our colleagues than with our actual friends, relatives and family.

For the most part, I tried to avoid making friends in the office. Looking back, this naïve plan did not work out that well because the majority of my friends in Cape Town are journalists who I worked with at some point or met through mutual friends.

So Nontando was in the Cadet School a year or so after me.

When she was done with her training she was assigned a desk next to me.

She and I hit it off because she was into most of the things that appealed to my journalism sides.

She loved partying, dressing up, had lived in chic places overseas, fine dining was our thing (she, Wendyl and I started a dinner club where we dined at a top-rated Cape Town restaurants each month), fashion (she started a fashion label, NoyoCloset, that made some of my favourite pieces in my wardrobe), events and she convinced me to try yoga. Anyone who managed to convince me to pay to stretch inside a hot yoga studio in the name of keeping fit is surely a friend of mine because I really hate exercise that looks and feels like my muscles are doing any actual work.


 Basically, we were likers of things in Cape Town and our job allowed us to do that and we enjoyed every minute of it.

She was always interested in lifestyle journalism, which she now does full time at the Cape Argus while also balancing the work of running her clothing label and trips overseas to do some modeling.

What I love about her, besides the fact that she is a kickass and supportive friend, is that she is driven and has found a way to make her interests into a career.

She is always there for a laugh or to listen or offer advice – even when she is on a different time-zone.

Nontando also has a sunny disposition. She really loves her life and she is happy and even when we find ourselves on the bitchy side of complaining about how fucked up things up, we always make it out with a plan of sorts or at least a reason to see the bright side. 

This is so important in an industry like journalism where everything looks bleak or hopeful depending on where you are sitting. We are in the later group which also being realistic by finding ways to make money off our other skills.


So I miss the long conversations with her and Wendyl over the most delicious three course dinners while good wine also flowed. I miss champagne sessions at sunset on Wendyl’s balcony. I miss going to yearly events like the Queen’s Plate, J&B Met, Polo and Fashion Week. I miss our office conversations with another colleague Sipokazi where we always found something to laugh about even when it felt like our newsroom was the most bleak place to be in at that time.

I was a bit sad when she was planning to emigrate to the Netherland and I was happy when she found more reasons to stay. 

Who knew that I’d be the one leaving town but Joburg is not Europe and we still see each other often enough and chat long enough to check each other when we get too negative and did each other out of self pity long enough to realize that there are cocktails to be had on another time-zone but in order get there we need to work. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendzone: Thato Moeng

My appreciation for red wine didn't start on a wine farm somewhere in Stellenbosch or when I lived next to a boutique wine farm during my internship years. No. My appreciation of wine started in Soshanguve, on the lawns of a stadium on our campus (Tshwane University of Technology) with this woman pictured above - Thato Moeng.

We met on campus during journalism school - something we both took as a second option (a story for another day) - and became really close friends.

This is mainly because we studied at a campus that we hated (at the beginning) and then grew to love and appreciate with the more friends we made and all the random stuff we got up to there. We wanted to be at the Pretoria West campus.

We also grew up in the same place, have way too many friends in common and had a particular addiction to attending Tucks Spring Fair, at University of Pretoria, even though we never studied there and the event always took place during the week when we had other shit to do like stud…

Friendzone: Sibongile Dalasile

When I started this blog, or more specifically, this "friend zone" section in my blog a few years ago, the idea was that I would use it as a space to big up some of my female friends who have been really awesome to me but also those who, I feel, deserve to have someone tell them that they are awesome because, as you know, the world is full of people who love taking but fall short when it comes to being generous. I should know, I am one of them.
So the "friend zone" was meant to be my token of appreciation to my friends because as the writer in the group, I often have very little to give in return except for words, some cheap laughs and maybe long catch up sessions when we are in the same city.
Sbo, is one of those people and since we don't live in the same city anymore, I thought she would be the perfect friend for me to revive this comatose ploy of mine to spread some extra cheer in the world.

I don't even know where to start because the story of how we m…

Friendzone: Lesego Kgosimolao

The years following the 1994 elections were a bit strange in Pretoria, the place where I grew up. I was somewhere between Primary and High school and people were doing either one of the following things: sending their kids to schools that are not in the township or moving to suburbs to be close to the schools that wouldn't allow kids "who lived too far."
So when the "let's send out kids to suburban schools wave" hit, my parents did not see the need and I went to a middle school that was a ten minute walk from my house and that was where I met and became really good friends with Lesego Kgosimolao. My first GBF.

As you can see from the photographs, Lesego is as fine as he is stylish - in fact he is a stylist. I remember in school, when I'd be walking around with dusty buccaneer shoes and a tunic that wasn't that familiar with an iron and there Lesego would be, always in a pair of shiny shoes, neat tie and a crisp ironed (I might add) white shirt. His…