Skip to main content

Friendzone: Wendyl Martin




Wendyl and I met on the first day of the cadet school. February 2010. 

This was a few weeks after I had temporarily abandoned my dream of being an environmentalist where I had been working as an intern, sometimes living in the middle of nowhere (Bredasdorp, Gansbaai, Stellenbosch) while plotting ways to save animals, fynbos and make it easier for people living in those areas to make a sustained living from their natural heritage. 

It all sounds a bit idealist when I write it now, five years later, from an apartment in Johannesburg. But that’s exactly what the organisations I was working for at the time (Flower Valley Conservation Trust and Peace Parks Foundation) were up to and it was quite inspiring being surrounded by scientists working in fields that I did not even know existed. 

So I spent most of my internship years (mid 2008 /09) in a bit of a daze, amazed that there was a world called conservation that I knew so little about while growing up in Mabopane and always surprised that no one thought me a fraud for not having a science-related qualification, at the very least.

Anyway, so that was my background.

 In my interview to get into Independent Newspapers’ Cadet School I think I said something to the effect that I wanted to be an environmental/science journalist (I still do) so that I can combine the journalist and environmental aspects of my career.




But back to Wendyl and I, and how we met in 2010, in a cold room at Independent Newspapers in Cape Town on the first day of the cadet school, which was run by Jonathan Ancer, a man who would spark my love for long-form narrative journalism (more on him later).

Wendyl was really hard to miss in that room of 12 or so budding journalists because he had the most glorious black hair; it was curly and went all the way to his neck. It was so shiny, the kind of shine I’d only seen in tv hair commercials. 

We struck up a friendship immediately, sat next to each other in class, had the same writing style, went on assignments together, lived together when he eventually moved to Cape Town and started our own version of a happy family. 

This involved lots of going out, getting drunk, helping each other come up with dope intros for our stories (which were sometimes hacked by subs who preferred that we get to the point but we would celebrate the few times our intros made it into the paper in exactly the same wording).

There were also things we did not have in common. 

He loved going to church, I didn’t. He loved Karaoke, I didn’t. He enjoyed shopping for groceries, I didn’t. He loved tv, I didn’t. 


But these differences were what made our friendship work because we didn’t end up morphing into each other and doing everything together and liking the same things.

We loved spreading the newspapers on the floor on a Sunday and comparing stories between publications while also byline stalking our favourite journalists.

Our best thing was trying to remember in which newspaper front-page scandal someone we had just met (or followed on Twitter) had been involved in, in the past.

 But there were other things we loved doing and they mostly involved lots of wine or champagne and having friends over while discussing our latest crush or heartbreak. We loved inviting our families over, being relieved that they’ve left, missing them when we’ve had too much wine, having screaming matches with each other, cooking elaborate dinners just for the sake of it and having the most impromptu (midweek) rooftop braais and get-togethers in the whole of Roeland Street.

Basically Wendyl was like a little brother, gay best friend, husband, colleague and therapist rolled into one tiny human package delivered straight from Durban (a city I really had no time for at the time) to me, in Cape Town.

When it was eventually time to leave Cape Town, after nearly a decade in a province I had initially intended to live in for a year, I was really sad because I had made such amazing memories with my friends, especially Wendyl, who had been able to put with me the longest and look after me after Mampala and Melanie moved back to Gauteng.



He was always there, with good advice; or maybe an ear to listen; or a few coins for us to play the jukebox at the Kimberley Hotel on a Sunday; or the enthusiasm (along with Thanda) to go back to the bundus with me for a weekend of camping and planting trees with some environmentalist-types in the Southernmost tip of Africa. 

I’d seen him transform from the Indian boy with glorious hair to a confident arts journalist with a really chic (short) hair cut. Listening to him (on my recent trip to Cape Town) talk about his future plans left me really excited, happy and proud that he’d grown into this open-minded person and I can’t wait to be there to see the puzzles fall into place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendzone: Thato Moeng

My appreciation for red wine didn't start on a wine farm somewhere in Stellenbosch or when I lived next to a boutique wine farm during my internship years. No. My appreciation of wine started in Soshanguve, on the lawns of a stadium on our campus (Tshwane University of Technology) with this woman pictured above - Thato Moeng.

We met on campus during journalism school - something we both took as a second option (a story for another day) - and became really close friends.

This is mainly because we studied at a campus that we hated (at the beginning) and then grew to love and appreciate with the more friends we made and all the random stuff we got up to there. We wanted to be at the Pretoria West campus.

We also grew up in the same place, have way too many friends in common and had a particular addiction to attending Tucks Spring Fair, at University of Pretoria, even though we never studied there and the event always took place during the week when we had other shit to do like stud…

Friendzone: Sibongile Dalasile

When I started this blog, or more specifically, this "friend zone" section in my blog a few years ago, the idea was that I would use it as a space to big up some of my female friends who have been really awesome to me but also those who, I feel, deserve to have someone tell them that they are awesome because, as you know, the world is full of people who love taking but fall short when it comes to being generous. I should know, I am one of them.
So the "friend zone" was meant to be my token of appreciation to my friends because as the writer in the group, I often have very little to give in return except for words, some cheap laughs and maybe long catch up sessions when we are in the same city.
Sbo, is one of those people and since we don't live in the same city anymore, I thought she would be the perfect friend for me to revive this comatose ploy of mine to spread some extra cheer in the world.

I don't even know where to start because the story of how we m…

Friendzone: Lerato Motshwarakgole

One of my favorite pieces of journalism was written by Tom Junod in 2016. It's called The Falling Man. It's a feature piece about a picture, taken on 9/11 of a man jumping out of the Twin Towers in New York and the subsequent search to find out who he was. I love it because it is a beautiful piece of journalism, the kind I  still aspire towards, where you write a really good story about a really small detail that people might have missed while focussing on the bigger picture.
Anyway, there is a part in there about photographs that always stays with me. It goes: "Photographs lie.Even great photographs. Especially great photographs". And it basically alludes to how we can all read so much into photographs, meanings that often have nothing to do with the moment.
I was thinking about this recently when Facebook brought back a "memory" from 2012, I think. In the picture, above, taken by our mutual friend Lebogang Nkoane, in Cape Town ( I think we were at Neighborh…